Tuesday, January 7, 2014

52 Ancestors in 52 weeks #1 Lewis John Schoonover Sr. #52AncestorsChallenge

To start my 52 week challenge of ancestors I will start with my Paternal grandfather Lewis John Schoonover Sr.

He was born April 17, 1931 in Livonia Center, Livingston County, New York, USA, to George and Esther (Graves) Schoonover. He was the 2nd child of theirs together and is the 1st born boy on that side.

In the 1940 census, he was living in Friendship, Allegany County, New York, USA with the family and was 9 years old.

What really surprised me was what came next.  Of course the 1950 census does not come out until about 2023 so I am patiently waiting for that.

I am guessing between 1954 and 1955 he met my grandmother Doris Pauline Pierce and got married February 11, 1956 in Friendship, Allegany, New York.  The thing about the marriage that I found interesting and surprising is that they were married in Friendship Sacred Heart Church. The reason I know the church that they got married in is I found a paper article about their wedding.

The reason this is surprising because that is a catholic church  and we have always gone to Friendship Bible Baptist Church.

It has been told that on a cold day in 1986 he collapsed on the floor of the house that they were living in and the dog would not leave his side. It took everything grandma had to pull the dog away so the EMTs could do what they had to.

On January 26, 1986 in Buffalo, Erie County, New York he passed away.  


1 comment: